Sunday, October 17, 2010

"My child will never _________" (you fill in the blank)

Last weekend we packed our bags and headed up to Wisconsin to see Martha, Chris, Nora and Wyatt(a whole post of it's on coming soon). We had to wake Landry up early Saturday morning b/c our flight left around 8:30 and from the moment we went and got him out of his crib he just wasn't himself. I was scared he was getting an ear infection b/c several times Friday I saw him pull and dig in his ears. But I didn't think that much about it b/c he will do that when he is tired or sleepy. Thankfully he has only had 1 ear infection in his whole life and I just thought "yea he is just tired."

Well I say all that to say I blame Austin for this next part!! It was Landry's first time to fly and I was so nervous about him having to sit still for that long-he is on the go all the time and doesn't' have time to sit still. Throughout the whole flight he was great-he didn't make a peep and was just waving at the stewardess that would walk by, the people sitting behind him and anyone else that would give him attention. When he wasn't finding someone to wave at or talk to he watched Elmo aka "Melmo" on his portable DVD player or was looking out the window at the clouds and would say "Whoa!"
So when the landing gear came out and the wheels hit the concrete I thought "He did AWESOME-why was I even nervous!" Well no longer than that thought came into my head I hear a child SCREAMING bloody murder at the top of his lungs. I had to look around b/c i just knew that wasn't my child's scream-it was way to loud and sounded like someone was mistreating that child and it was unlike any scream I have heard before. I quickly realize that child screaming IS MY CHILD-WHAT!!! THATS MY CHILD SCREAMING?!! What in the world!? I had NEVER heard him scream like that before in all of his 19 months old of life! I just wrapped him in my arms as tight as I could and "shhhh" in his ear until he calmed down which took a good 30 second to a minute but let me tell you it seemed like a lifetime b/c we were only on a 60 passenger plane so everyone could hear him loud and clear!! I was so embarrassed when we were getting off the plane that I just apologized to everyone we passed. Thankfully everyone said "That's OK-I'm sure his ears were popping." Thankfully he did great on the way home and since we had a night flight he had a great time looking out the window at the stars, moon and lights of the cities. I think I sang Twinkle Twinkle Little Star about 10 times within the 1 hour and 10 minute flight.
It was so cute and I loved watching how excited he got on the plane. It was a memorable first flight but we survived. This picture was takes right before we took off and you can tell he wasn't in the best of moods. There is a story behind his face in this picture but I better not share it on here. :) Althought we had a rocky and stressful start to our trip that didn't stop us from having a blast with our family. We miss them so much already and can't wait for our next trip to Wisconsin.
So at this point your probably asking "why do you blame Austin for that screaming fit he had when we landed?" Well here's the answer-ever since I have known Austin he did not like it when babies or kids screamed! If we were in a restaurant and a child would scream he would stop eating and take a deep breath and lay his fork down b/c he couldn't concentrate to eat with the child screaming. Whenever we would get on a plane (before having kids of course) Austin would always look around at who was sitting next to us and pray under his breath that a baby wouldn't be next to us. Don't get me wrong Austin loves kids and babies just not shrill high-pitched screams coming from kids and babies. So I BLAME him. I have learned something in these past 19 months of Landry's life NEVER SAY "MY CHILD WILL NEVER __________" b/c chances are just b/c you said that they will prove you wrong! So just b/c Austin has always said "My child will never scream in public" Landry had to show him one good time and make him tuck his tail between his legs. Throughout the whole trip Landry just wasn't his happy go lucky self! I KNEW (mother's instinct) that something just wasn't right with him but I didn't know what. I guess we are fortunate enough to have only had that one incident like this in public in his 19 months of life but I'm holding on tight b/c I knew there will be many many more to come. We got back home and I took him to the doctor and sure enough double ear infection and his left one was very infected. Poor baby was miserable all weekend and I felt so bad. Anyways just as my mother always told me "never say never" and I blame Austin! :)

2 comments:

  1. Hahahah, I love this! It is SO TRUE! Kids will make a fool out of you!!!!! God love them :) I still havent flown with Grant yet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hbe definitely been an offender of the my child will never... You just don't understand anything about kids until you have one for your own!!! Landry just gets cuter and cuter! I wish we lived closer so we could have playdates!!

    ReplyDelete